Why Volunteers are My Superheroes
I think back to when I first started ministry. I had a guilty conscience and no desire to be around children, like ever. A few heavy conversations from an Associate Pastor and boom, I was an official Nursery Worker trying to guilt my husband into helping me (unsuccessfully I might add!). Fast forward 12 years, and now I am the Director of our Kidmin and care for 40-90 volunteers depending on the time of year. Thinking back from the perspective of being a volunteer then transitioning into full time ministry, here are some basics I try remember about our volunteers...
- You represent me, our church, and our entire ministry as a Friendship Kids volunteer
- You will be the reason people love or hate serving in this ministry
- You make this a priority in your life based on the ownership you feel you have in your role
- How you pursue God is directly related to your ministry health
- As a Ministry Volunteer you are committing to a higher level of accountability in your life
And here is why you are one of my Superheroes
- You impact families and kids directly every week, that's nothing to take lightly.
- You put aside your personal struggles and everything that went wrong that morning, that week, and that month to serve God with a joyful heart.
- God is using your talents and gifts to save real people from going to Hell.
- You may be the only "church person" who was ever nice to that kid or parent
- You are the reason kids say, "I love going there!" And why families say they want to come back!
It's not just lipservice when I say, I love our volunteers. I sincerely do. Thank you all of you Friendship Kids Vols. I can't do it alone, and I am proud to put on a cape, and do ministry right next to you!